1. A team consists of 6 players. You must play with at least 5 players, 2 of which must be women. Never more than three men on the court at a time. This must be called before the game.
2. It is considered a forfeit for your team if you have less than 5 players. You are welcome to play an “exhibition” game, but it will count as a loss in the standings. (Even if the other team agrees to allow you to play with 4 players, Flannagan’s will recognize the game as a loss). This must be called before the game so if the 4 player team wins no conflict can ensure. All players must be present within the 15 minute grace period.
3. Each member of the team shall serve in turn, (rotating clockwise).
4. Teams will volley for first serve. The team winning the volley will serve the first game. The team that loses serves the following game.
5. The server shall stand with both feet behind the rear boundary line and may not step on or over the boundary line until after the serve has been hit.
6. If a player touches the ball or the ball touches a player, he/she is considered as having played the ball, (exception: a block is not considered a hit). Each team may hit the ball 3 times before the ball is hit to the opposing team.
7. Players are not permitted to scoop, hold, or lift the ball. Players may not touch the net.
8. Players are not permitted to spike the ball on the serve. Players aren’t allowed to come from back to front to spike.
9. It is legal to contact the ball with any part of the body above the knee as long as the ball rebounds immediately and does not “lie” against the body. Kicking is not permitted.
10. It is permissible to run out of bounds and play a ball before it contacts an object out of bounds. Once it hits an object out of bounds it is a dead ball.
11. When a ball touches a boundary line, it is considered good.
12. A ball touching the body more than once in succession is considered a double hit and is illegal except when blocking or on a hard driven spike.
13. A ball hit into the net by a team may still be kept in play provided the net isn’t touched by the players or it is not the third hit.
14. A ball is still in play if it hits the net and goes over into the opponent’s court during the volley and the serve.
15. If 2 players contact the ball simultaneously, it counts as one hit and either player may play the next hit.
16. A spiker must contact the ball on his/her side but may in the course of the follow through cross over, but not touch, the net. A player may never cross the plain of the net while blocking.
17. Twenty-one points wins the match. Teams must win by 2 points with a 21-point cap. Games will be best of 3 or 1-hour MAXIMUM matches.
18. Substitutions may be made during the game into the server position only. Males must sub for males and the same for women. **Please refrain from utilizing “ringers” for tournament play.
19. Players may cross the center-line below the net during play provided that this does not interfere with the opponent’s play.
20. Players are not permitted to walk on the court while another game is taking place. If a game is running late, you may ask the team how much time they have left. If you feel it is running unreasonably late, please find a volleyball coordinator and he/she will address the issue.
21. All team names should be fun and good sports. Flannagan’s has the right to ask any team to change names should we feel it is inappropriate.
22. Flannagan’s volleyball coordinators have the authority to make any/all final decisions regarding anything questionable and/or not covered here.